Monday, April 19, 2010

Roast Chicken Breasts with Garbanzo Beans, Tomatoes, and Paprika

Dinner tonight is something that I first made two years ago and have repeated every couple of months since. It's an easy and tasty recipe, and fairly full of protein which is always a plus. It's an epicurious.com recipe and can be found here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roast-Chicken-Breasts-with-Garbanzo-Beans-Tomatoes-and-Paprika-242113

The picture includes a side of rice pilaf.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika 
    • This isn't hard to find and pretty much makes the dish
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt 
    • I'll be using plain soy yogurt for the first time ever tonight
  • 4 chicken breast halves
    • The original recipe calls for bone-in breasts, but skinless and boneless is always easier and is thus what I used tonight
  • 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
  • 1 12-ounce container cherry tomatoes
  • random leftover veggie pieces :)
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
  • optional: lime wedges on the side
Preparation
Preheat oven to 450°.

Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Pour 1 teaspoon spiced oil mixture into small bowl; whisk in yogurt and set aside for sauce.

Place chicken on large rimmed baking sheet. (When it's just Dan and me and I'm consequently making less, I can usually get away with making this in an 8"x8" glass casserole dish if I'm only cooking two breasts.) Rub 2 tablespoons spiced oil mixture over chicken. Add beans, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup cilantro to remaining spiced oil mixture; toss to coat. Pour bean mixture around chicken. Sprinkle everything generously with salt and pepper.


Roast until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cilantro.

Transfer chicken to plates. Spoon bean mixture over. Serve with yogurt sauce. I know I've served this with lime wedges as well, and tonight I made rice pilaf as our side.


Modifications
I only made a few modifications, including adding some green bell pepper and artichoke heart pieces that were leftover from making pizzas last night. Oh, and I completely forgot to buy cilantro! Blast!! I used a small amount of chopped fresh tarragon and parsley in its place, but I definitely recommend cilantro if you have it. One more note: I used less tomatoes than called for. Dan isn't a big tomato guy, so I'll probably eat most of what I did cook with, and this way the carton will last for cobb salad later on this week.

The Verdict: A Keeper
Okay, the verdict was obvious since I've already made this recipe at least 10 times. But this was my first time using soy yogurt and it honestly wasn't bad. Sure, I would have preferred the real thing, but all of the soy options available in our grocery stores make going dairy-free for Dan fairly easy. Also, the fresh tarragon and parsley replacement was good. I'm going to remember that next time and perhaps even experiment with other fresh herbs. Rosemary, thyme, and basil could be great options. Yay versatility!

No comments:

Post a Comment